Typical Schedule of the day:
Before care provided by Montessori of Alameda Annex
7:30 Before care drop off
8:00-9:00 Before care, nature activities, stories, art, exploration
Into the Woods Program 9:00 a.m.-1:00 pm
9:00 Load up our school bus and off or a local park or nature area
9:30 Arrival, go over forest guidelines/ class meeting
9:45 Exploration of the nature area
11:00 Picnic snack in the woods
11:20 Exploration and forest activities
12:00 Clean up and care of self
12:30 Back to the Annex
1:00-5:30 Aftercare program provided by Montessori of Alameda Annex.
Each day at the Forest School offers new opportunities:
- Sensory observation and documentation using paper and colored pencils/crayons
- Natural arts and crafts using found materials
- Physics experimentation using natural materials (puddles, branches, leaves)
- Nature hunts and plant/animal identification
- Dramatic role -play
- Structure building using natural materials (stones, sticks, twine)
- Log climbing, puddle jumping, movement games, etc.
In addition to child-led exploration, teacher’s lead projects that vary by the day, season, and expressed student interest! We do leaf etchings and flower pressings and plant cataloging. We create natural mobiles, and sculpt pictures out of mud and clay! We make binoculars to go bird watching, and build stick-nests for the birds and squirrels!
We are currently making connections with local parks and nature areas and are hoping to find land of our own to create our own Forest environment. Until then, we will use local parks and nature areas through community building.